Share Away!

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Scotcheroos and I'm a hero!!!

These are like Rice Krispie treats on steroids. I just made them in 10- 15 minutes and they are yummay! I make these for the boys when I seriously don't feel like baking, but promises have usually been made. They never care because they are a combo of sugars, Rice cereal, and peanut butter with a chocolate/butterscotch frosting. Oh yeah..... ;)

1 C light corn syrup
1 C white sugar
1 C peanut butter
6 C Rice cereal (I use the cheap one, but make sure they are fresh-  never, ever use stale! I tried to get away with that once. Totally busted... Doh!)

1 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 C butterscotch chips

Butter a 9 x 13. In a large pan, (like a dutch oven cause there is no need to dirty a bunch of bowls, in my opinion) combine sugar and corn syrup. Combine and cook over medium heat until bubbling. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter. Add the cereal and mix until completely coated. Press mixture into prepared pan. Meanwhile, in a double boiler, combine chips and stir until melted. Watch this- nothing worse than burned chocolate. Some say you can do this in the microwave, but I prefer the boil method. I have noticed that the butterscotch chips don't melt as smoothly as the chocolate. Just keep smushing them. That works. Frost the top of the bars, leaving a an edge. Cut while still warmish. Trust me, do not wait too long!!!! I watched my Aunt snap a knife clean in two. No joke... Try 'em. Your family will like them. (Unless they hate butterscotch, of course.)  ~H

No comments: